One Year Singaporean Anniversary


Happy Happy One Year Anniversary Singapore!  

One year ago, tearful goodbyes were said to our families and a plane to Singapore was boarded.  We had never been to Asia and knew absolutely no one – but decided to take the risk. 

Expat life definitely has highs and lows, but over the past year we have learned to deal with the unknown and laugh through it. 
Below is a quick recap of what we learned in Asia 2015 ; )

LANGUAGE
I can say:
Ni Hao!  -  hello.  
Zai Jian!  -  bye.
I wish I could say that Jim and I are now fluent Mandarin speakers, but honestly, not at all. If anything, we have become more British since British English is the official language.  Words like keen, quite, and cheerful have become staples in my vocabulary. 
  Also, you have to speak the British pronunciation of words to a lot of taxi drivers to get around.  Essentially, I am American running around Asia speaking in a British accent.

I also find myself using hand symbols more frequently.  The thumbs up (or thumbs down) are universal, and pretty much my standard mode of communication.

















 

Thumbs up #lavacakesaroundasia

TRAVEL
Traveling around Asia is incredible.  I finally understand all this "wanderlust" stuff. The people, the service, the sights – all remarkable and unlike anything in Western travel. 

Favorite trip in the past year would be Siem Reap, Cambodia with Kyle and Megan.  Partly because we loved traveling with friends, and partly because Angkor Wat is OH MY GOD beautiful and so full of history.  Everyone knows I am a huge history fan, and if it were up to me every childhood birthday party would have been at the Graue Mill.  

Entrance to Angkor Wat
Travel Buddies
FOOD
It is official.  I am an Asian Food Junkie. Thanks to the Singapore Hawker Centres, I can indulge my tastebuds frequently and cheaply!  Xiao Long Bao (soup dumplings), Haiwanese Chicken and Rice, BimBop, Pho, Green Curry, Satay and Bahn Mi are dietary staples.   The greasy, salty Asian food in the states is the complete opposite of the food served here.   My 2016 goal is to take a cooking class to learn how to make them all. Maybe future Jenna will open up a food stall when we return home.


Favorite Hawker Stall
GROCERY STORES
95% of the time, I will not find what I need at the grocery store.  Since everything is imported, stock changes frequently.  If I see dry ranch packets or bloody mary mix – I stock up as those are two key expat items that you only see every 6 months.  I have also gotten used to paying ridiculous amount of money for western brands.  A craving for Chex Mix?  Fork over $10 for a small bag.  Jim’s Dr. Pepper cravings? A six pack set us back around $20.  Greek Yogurt? $7 for a single serving (this is what I miss the most).

On the flip side, produce is MUCH cheaper so I mean - yay for apples and oranges.

Chicken Biskit? No thanks.  Can I just get some normal crackers please?

CLOTHING
Malls are pretty much everywhere you turn – from luxury brands to everyday staples at H&M – Singapore has it all (except swimsuits - don't get me started on that). It will cost you 3 times what you pay in the states, but you can find it. Shoes on the other hand – ugh.  Thank you to my wonderful parents for blessing me with above average size feet.  My feet are considered “Fat size” and sadly size 8 1/2 shoes are for clowns.

FAMILY
The hardest part of being a 21 hour plane ride away is being apart from Family.  There are days that I wake up thinking about being back in Chicago - having drinks with friends, playing with my nephews and niece, and visiting my parents and grandparents. We are lucky enough to have found some great friends here though to celebrate holidays with and support one another - especially in spells of homesickness which we all understand.


WEATHER
The weather in Singapore is amazing.  We are able to go on walks every night and enjoy the pool year round.  I can say that warm weather year round definitely has had a positive impact on our attitudes.  The weather could keep me a permanent Singapore resident or make me leave for Cali after our first next full Chicago winter.

Constant "beer garden" weather
Singapore is known as the "garden city" due to the amount of green space mixed in with the skyscrapers

CHARCOAL
Charcoal is in everything - stomach medicine, toothpaste, certain teas.  I once mentioned that Charcoal in the states in only used by Santa.  I thought my joke was hilarious (as they typically are) - but I received a bunch of very perplexed looks back.  SUREone can believe a giant turtle turned its shell into the island to save tourists off the coast of Singapore, but Santa leaving coal in a stocking - RUBBISH! 

GARDENER
The building Jim and I live in has a gardener who is my favorite man in Asia.  And yes, he deserves his own category in our yearly recap. Every morning on the way to work, he salutes Jim.  No Joke.   
A small part of me believes he thinks Jim is Prince Charles (which surprisingly he gets A LOT here).
Still don't see it...
WALKING
Singapore has 1.5 million expats, and each of these expats is used to walking on a different side of the road/sidewalk.  I sometimes feel like a human ping-pong ball walking home from work.

O, you want to get through?


So there - a quick recap of Singapore living in 2015.  Now, onto 2016!


2016 TRAVEL PLANS
Bucket List:  Chiang Mai, Beijing, Bali, Gili Islands, Margaret River Valley Australia, Tokyo, Malaysia, Bangkok, Laos, Sri Lanka, Koh Samui and Malacca


2016 UPCOMING VISITORS
March: Pete, Cara and MJ
April:  The Bryars

On a side note, I officially started calling Singapore “home” a few months ago.  We obviously miss everyone back in Chicago and eventually will love to end up there – but we are taking it one day at a time.  Today, we are in Singapore and making the most of it! 

Cheers to an amazing 2015, and new adventures in 2016!
One year later, we mastered the serious peace sign selfie
Love,
Jenna and Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment