Bintan, Indonesia


Jim's 30th Birthday celebration continued into the 3-day holiday weekend.  Our plan was to celebrate the big 3-0 in Bali, but due to volcanic ash spewing in Bali - the airport closed - island problems ; ) 

We quickly regrouped and planned a fabulous weekend in Bintan, an Indonesian island that is a quick ferry ride from Singapore.  We boarded the ferry Thursday night and headed off for an all-inclusive weekend in paradise.   


Map of the Ferry Route
Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted by a monkey jumping out at us. Little did we know, this would begin the weekend theme - The Monkeys vs. The Rogers.  The monkeys definitely won the first night.  I awoke frightened in the middle of the night to some loud noises coming from above (Jim didn't seem fazed, as he did not budge).  It turns out the monkeys were playing on our hotel room roof! Although I couldn't see them, I joked they were playing a game of full court basketball with a coconut.  Eventually, I fell asleep to the pitter batter of monkey feet ; ) 

We awoke to a gorgeous day filled with plenty of sunshine! On the first full day, we went snorkeling,  kayaking, swam in the ocean and, of course, enjoyed some delicious fruity drinks.   After a brief monkey chase to our room (video below), we napped and got ready for dinner.

Birthday Boy enjoying Breakfast
Just the essentials
Scuba Jim
Kayak Fun
The True Test of Marriage - Can you Kayak together?
It's all Fun and Games until the Monkeys start chasing you..

Dinner was at a lovely restaurant that was set on a cliff overlooking the ocean.  When we finished our main course, a group of 10 waiters surprised us with a cake and clapped a Happy Birthday Tune!  It was such a wonderful surprise to cap off a great day.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! 
Clearly thrilled I am forcing him to a picture
On our last day, we took a mini sailboat out on the South China Sea.  Jim surprised me and turned out to be a talented sailor!  I on the other hand... well.. let's just say I have other strengths.

All smiles before I almost capsized us..
Captain James
Daredevil pulled his chair out of the shade #livingontheedge
Lunch Break
Happy Hour
After a wonderfully relaxing last day, we enjoyed an evening on an empty beach listening to waves crashing.  After a few minutes of pure bliss, I suddenly felt mini limes falling on me.  I looked up to see a monkey in the tree above us deliberately throwing limes at me! He did not like that I was on his turf. A very fitting ending for a weekend filled with monkey encounters! 

On Sunday, Jim and I enjoyed a quick morning swim, jumped on the ferry and headed back to Singapore.  Bintan turned out to be a little piece of heaven and we cannot wait to go back!

Man vs. Waves
Bye Bye Bintan!
Cheers,
Jenna and James

No comments:

Post a Comment